on Saturday, May 7, 2011
 
May 8, 2011, Mother's Day, Sucat

10 things my mom taught me about LIFE.

10. If you're in a bind, there's no one you can trust but your family. No matter how worst is it that my sister and I fight... at the end of the day I know that my mother's teaching about family will prevail and I will still cover my sister's back no matter what. I saw on TV that family isn't suppose to make you feel good... they're suppose to get under your skin... and my sister always had her way under mine. =P




9. It's easy to endure hardship when you're with your mom. I used to remember our 'lil old house in the province of Surigao Del Sur where insects would crawl up when the rain poured and flood came in. We had to sleep upstairs and waited for the water to ebb before our house would be livable again... but I didn't mind it then... because my mom usually sang us to sleep.

8. Breafast/Lunch/Dinner will not be the same without her cooking. My mom was not a great cook when we were growing up... but I think some things that drove her to be good at it was because I was having a hard time eating veggies and my siblings were picky. My mom would go to lengths of making the meal appetizing and so mouth-watering you can't resist. Even now... her magic still works.


7. My mom taught me how to be the best. She always pushes me to do great things. She supports... she hustles... she pushes... she lifts you up so that you could do great things for yourself. The good thing about being pushed by your mom... is that when you fail... she always has your back. She fought for my education in UP when my father lost his faith in my sister when she ended up pregnant and my brother also had a baby on the way. I was destined to have my education in the province but seeing how I fared well in my education... she knew I can handle the education University of the Philippines had to offer. And oh boy was she right.

6. Family is important in decision-making. She was the only housewife in the family, my father is a tailor, my sister is an accounts executive, my brother is in the army, I am an engineer but still... when it comes to decisions making... we still look up to her for approval. The table is the best spot where decisions are made by the family. No votes rendered... just different perspectives of ruthless engineer (me), kind-hearted matriarch (mom), less-serious lazy guy (bro). My father is an absentee member so usually my mom's perspective can be viewed as his too.

5. Cleanliness is next to Godliness. I am truly grateful at how she raised me into this household where dishes should be washed right after the meal... where laundry should be made in an efficient fashion and cleaning the house is a weekly activity. I have gathered all the things that I have learned when I crashed to sleep at some friend's house... or my apartment in Las Pinas.

4. It's better to be loved than to be feared. My five nieces and nephew are always on the lookout on when their "Auntie Gaga" gonna come down the stairs and steal the show... usually they cower and behave when I am on site... not because they feared me... but because my opinion matters to them. A little can of ice cream is the key to winning the hearts of little people like my pamangkins. They cannot be taught by spanking... I never believe in spanking to instill knowledge to my pamangkins... I used my head in dealing with them... I tricked them into doing chores... sometime I bribe them... sometimes... all it needs is a little "lambing" to make them do pretty much whatever it is you want to be done. My mom taught me that... too bad my sister always resort to yelling and screaming... I resorted to soft-spoken command and walah... deed is done.




3. We are lucky today than they were. When I encountered some problems in my path... or that I am depressed over how I can't have everything... I will just have to reminisce some of the things my mom went through during world war 2 when they had nothing to eat but veggies and she even had to work at an early age to earn a living. I am lucky today for having parents who were able to educate us and gave us a home. You too should think that we got it easy with our generation today. And I always instill this mentality to my pamangkins who are lucky than we are... so in that way... when they grow up, they won't feel self pity over some ipod that were not given or some cellphones that were withheld. We have to earn that thing that we have.



2. SUCCESS is never sweet when you don't share it. As an engineer in the family... I would say that I have been earning a little higher than my brother or my sister... but now, I think my sister is catching up. So anyway... my salary belongs not only to me. I am the only single gal left in the family and naturally... what I got can be shared... especially when the whole family is gathered in the house and there's an occasion that needs dough... lot and lots of dough... We usually got by just my having dinner or lunch after we attend mass in Baclaran



1. All you need is LOVE. When you are going throught one of life's hardest battles... as I am... you might stray your way and get behind the wheel and drive off to some new apartment in Las Pinas... but the thing is... my mom never questioned my judgement. She has this unshakable faith that whatever I do... I can call for her help whenever I need it. I know she knows my struggles nowadays... but she never asked me about that... I guess because she knows that I can handle it. Heck... with all my 28 years of training of cooking... cleaning... loving... disciplining... and decision-making... I would say that with her LOVE and FAITH. Nothing else would matter but her standing by my side and offering her wisdom and support.



Thank you mom for raising me not to hate... but to LOVE. This little girl may be growing up too soon but nothing would prevent her from leaving your side. Not yet.

After all... we are bingo buddies right? So call me whenever you need someone to play bingo with... I am right here...