on Thursday, June 23, 2011

June 23, 2011, 8:23pm, Office Desk

10 things MADY has taught me

When I walked in in Barlines 6 years ago wearing my khaki 3/4 pants and white shirt, I didn't count on being interviewed, hired that same afternoon. I even had to confirm twice that I am an engineer. I was looking very girly then...

Here are just some of the greatest things I learned from my boss Mady.

1. Never ever call somebody MA'AM or SIR. Because by then you are putting yourself under him. And don't think that by calling him Sir or Ma'am... you are being polite. When I went to the US, everybody calls their boss by their first name... and that is how I call MADY... always.

2. Don't correct the person about his or her mistakes when you are not that SURE he or she is wrong. If you correct someone, you better be right... or else... what's the point?

3. It's okay to be yelled at, as long as you yell back. Yell back especially when you're right. Well at least I yell back at him... and he seems to be taking it when I show him the error of his ways.

4. Always cover your @ss. When you're doing something and you think you might be held responsible when the time comes... you put it into writing... you record it in the notes... you jot it down so that any assumptions and notes are accounted for. Leave no room for mistakes.

5. Commit hard mistakes but never the easy ones. You better commit one you have no control off or that because you don't have resources or information was withheld from you... but to commit mistake just because you forgot about that thing and that you were too lazy to look at the details and miss something... oh... if you can commit easy mistakes like that... chances are... you will commit bigger mistakes when things got worst.

6. Keeping the ball at your court is never a good idea. If you got any question or violent reaction... you voice it... you pass it on to the person you got issues with... so that in return... he could do something about it. Never leave the option to them to hurt you once again... because in that way, they could blame you that you never had reactions and you realized that you should have voiced it a long time ago.

7. Never assume or presume. Assumptions are crucial in our line of work... to assume that you know something is a very dangerous thing. There is the Internet for emails and a phone for voice calling, why don't you take the initiative to call and ask questions... resolve the issue before assuming something. I'd rather be yelled at for asking questions than be yelled at for committing mistakes. Right?

8. You are not perfect. And when you are at the top of your game... you seize it... yo conquer it... you enjoy it... because time will come that you won't be number one... that you won't be the best... and you never knew what hit you. The secret to prolonging success is not the drive to do the best every time you do something... it's within you to be the best... so don't fuss... if you say you're the best... YOU ARE. Being the best should be effortless... it shouldn't be an act... it should be a habit.

9. Be good at what you do. If you have been doing that thing that you do for years now, what's the reason that you're not good at it? YOU SHOULD BE. In fact, you should be the best at it.

10. You can have everything. If your love ones are those who suffer because of your success... then you are not successful at all. And don't for a minute think that there are sacrifices that must be made... because if you want something with all your heart... you can have everything without sacrificing something.


I never expected my first work in Barlines to be this rewarding. I was yelled at here... I spent countless hours working my @ss off here... I spent the night of my birthday here... I cried... I almost quit... and then I got better because that's what you do when you love something... You work hard and you make it better. It shaped me today and it will define me tomorrow.

My boss, Amadeus Magpile, taught me how to deal things in LIFE the way you handle work. With the same passion and drive that I have everyday.

There is not a day that think I will fail myself... because in this world that we live in... DESPAIR should never have a place in your heart... so savor that moment of being the underdog...

When it gets so low that you couldn't handle it anymore... life will offer you something and there's no stopping you from getting that dream of yours and making it a reality.

^___^