on Tuesday, July 5, 2011




"Sadness is easier because it's surrender.
I say make time to dance alone with one hand waving free".
- Claire Colburn, ELIZABETHTOWN (2005)


July 5, 2011, 6:58pm, Makati Desk 

Somebody asked me what is my favorite song... and for a minute there I couldn't tell him. Maybe because my mood changes like the weather that there are tons and tons of songs that I like depending on my state of mind. 

For a music person like me, it's hard to define yourself with just one song. When I was with someone, I can readily tell him what is my favorite song... and now... it seems that even the my song selection should undergo a whole make-over.

So to you out there... here are the 15 songs that I could say would define me. FOR NOW.

15. Breathe In Breathe Out – Mat Kearney. BRACING MYSELF. When there’s that unreachable thing… or that hurdle that is too great to overcome… I brace myself and I find the courage to carry on… and you just jump and overcome it.


14. You Could be Happy – Snow Patrol. BITTERSWEET. You know that feeling that you love something or someone that you are willing to wish them that happy ending that you so badly wanted for yourself but you just have to believe that God has this grand plans for you, otherwise, what’s the point in all this right? I dunno but this song really gets to me.



13. By your Side – Sade. ROMANTIC. I am a self-proclaimed romantic. I love slow dances… avowals of love… happy endings. You may not see it in this tough façade but I am all those things and more… I always picture myself not as a damsel in distress but someone who is strong enough to be somebody’s woman.

12. Yeah – Chris Brown. FUN. Sorry, I’m not all emo… I’m fun too. Hahaha! Got I love to dance… Let’s dance.


11. Science and Faith – The Script. CONFLICTING. This is me daydreaming of that guy who can stand by me and equal me in things. I don’t ask for much… I just want someone who could accept that I am weird… different and very very much opinionated.

10. Jump then Fall – Taylor Swift. Not only that I love this song but I love singing this with my niece Josah. This is me going back to being a KID without a clue on things… it’s like you having no inhibitions… no worries on what others might think… no restrictions… just have to take that leap of faith.



9. One More Day - Vast. This is a sad song. And although you won't find my eyes all teary while I'm playing this... just know that if this is what's playing in my desk... I'm SAD at the moment.




8. Hoppipolla - Wenzel Templeton & Robert Pegg. This is an EPIC song. Just like the way I WANT TO SEE myself. I know that a lot of people happen to be confused on what they want out of life... I know exactly what I want... I want to live my life INFLUENCING others. Inspiring them. I want them to remember me. To matter.

7. Family Tree - Matthew West. I am RESOLUTE. This is played when I want to remind myself to quit beating myself up over past mistakes. This is me INSISTING that my life, although NOT PERFECT, is the way I WANT IT TO BE. This is me justifying that whatever choices I have made... It has led me to this moment... and I wouldn't want it ANY OTHER WAY.



6. Little Wonders – Rob Thomas. When I am remembering something… when I’m happy without reason… This is me smiling while walking… this is me CHERISHING moments that I would pass down to my daughters and sons… I would say that I am THOUGHTFUL while playing this song.

5. Good Life – One Republic. JIGGY. You know that moment that you feel so euphoric and very much ALIVE? It’s like you’re one with the world… you want to dance while walking… you want to smile while talking… dancing in the rain… tasting that delicious meal your mom had prepared… good old banter with friends…

4. Learning to Fly – Tom Petty. This is me BELIEVING. That whatever things may come... I am bound to outdo all of them. This is me being unstoppable and just charging in because I have a heart to believe and I have my mind to make it all come true.

3. So Here We Are – Bloc Party. I never get tired of this song… This is me beating my running record… this is me running and never looking back. This is me hitching a ride or picturing myself on a roadtrip. This is me carrying out my quest… me chasing my dreams… me working hard for that something. This is me FIGHTING my demons and risking everything.

2. Can’t Take My Eyes of You – Damian Rice. All of us wanted something out of life, I guess what I have been really dreaming is some PASSION AND CONVICTION. Although this is a romantic song… the way it sounds and the way he says it… it’s more than just that great tune and good lyrics. The whole package itself speaks of passion and burning love. I want that, I want to live that life of desire and decisiveness. I just want it. I dunno why. Hehehe.


1. Sober - Kelly Clarkson. This song is HOPEFUL. It's like waking from a dream and finding you are slowly healing and moving on. If this is playing... then chances are... I'm HOPEFUL and very much optimistic.

There. I want to be all those things and God help me if I let my life just fade away without realizing even just one of them.